Nový hrádek - last year's oak leaves in the wind
Location: 50.0276°W 14.4731°N
Unlike his father Karel, Wenceslas IV had a relatively small castle built on a hill above the stream near Kunratice. There is no watersource nearby, so they probably had to bring water from the valley. In 1412 the construction was completed and from the windows of the tower according to history the towers of Prague Castle could be seen. Until 1419, Wenceslas IV. spent most of his time here: he received visits, read in the library, rested, or hunting in the surrounding forests. He also had a stroke here and died "with a big scream and a roaring like a lion". The body was taken first to Hradčana and then to Zbraslav, or vice versa. Today there are only ruins of cellars and oak forests around.
- Log in to post comments