Flame in the Gasworks Michle
During state holidays, an employee of Pražská plynárenská comp. in Michle lights a gas burner symbolized as a piece of coal held in a stretched bronze arm of one of the two figures of the Gas Industry Allegory. The statue is at the entrance to the building of the Michelská Gasworks, established in 1926. The Labor is presented as a figure of a man exposing his half naked muscular body. Surprisingly, the allegory of Science is bigger and female. Fortunately, the gas produced from lignite was closed. At the time of its establishment the Michle Gasworks company was one of the largest and most modern in Europe. The architecture of the complex of administrative, residential and production buildings was built by Nekvasil company according the design by architects Josef Kalous, Tomáš Keclík and Václav Strebský. The builder, owner, investor and initiator was the Prague Municipality. There is currently a gas museum in the complex and Prague Gas company runs an interesting grant policy focused on visual arts.
- Log in to post comments